Core aeration is vital to the health of your lawn and can be done at anytime in the spring, summer or fall. Core aeration requires a machine that pulls small 1-1/2 to 2 inch plugs of soil out every few inches and deposits them on the surface of the lawn. The plugs should not be removed as they aid in the improvement of the lawn.
Some of the benefits of core aeration are:
- stimulates the breakdown of thatch
- helps relieve soil compaction
- allows the roots of the grass to breathe
- allows nutrients like fertilizer to feed the roots
- increases drought stress tolerance